Monday, April 22, 2013

Letters to the Soul




Good evening! I'm certain that Catherine is working very diligently right now on our newest video concerning physical health. And, I'm SURE you've missed me, so I thought it might be a good idea to talk about more of the ways I manage to keep myself sane. So yes, again it is...


Story Time!  

I was really depressed for a while, and I felt pretty lost like I had no direction in life and no conception of who I was or wanted to be. One night, I found a short little note I'd written to my "future self" about a year ago, a small scrap of paper I carried around in one of my wallet slots. It wasn't much- "

"J'espere que dans le futur tu parles encore le francais. (I hope that in the future, you still speak French.)  You've made it this far. You're not yet dead... Just keep doing what you do. Oh my God, I bet you have a boyfriend now. I'm so happy for you lol. See you soon"


I read it just a couple weeks after my boyfriend broke up with me. I guess I've always had a way of being inconsiderate of my future self, (like not packing myself a lunch because I don't "feel like it,") and this is by far my favourite. That night was one of my worst, but that letter made me feel so much better for some odd reason. I couldn't stop laughing at how wonderfully awful it was.


It inspired me to write a new one to myself that I could read the next time I became unbearably upset. In it, I reminded my future self of how intelligent and talented I am, and how happy I have made the people around me. I told myself that I have a family that loves and cares about me, and that though pain is natural and expected, I have the power to overcome it. I wrote a few more letters after that when I became sad, explaining why I felt the way I did and why I should be happy in life.

My letters have brought me back up every time I've felt unhappy or someone said something hurtful to me. For example, last week in class, when I spoke up about a common misunderstanding everyone had, my classmates didn't seem to care at all about what I had to say, and a few even laughed at me. I was really hurt. I mean, who does that? It sounds like it's from some sort of badly written film about bullying and teen angst. I closed my eyes and took a moment to calm down, then read my latest message to myself. There's something so infinitely comforting about reading "I love you" when it's from someone close to you, especially yourself.

Well, I best be off! My Economics homework awaits.

Until next time, happy living!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Michaela. Tres belle! Love your idea of letters to your future self.

    Ms. Hampton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! They really have helped me.

    ReplyDelete